A sack full of delicious Sliders hits the spot just about any time. But you know what else people crave – and rightfully so? A vibrant, healthy planet, capable of sustaining life for many generations of future Cravers.
White Castle takes our responsibility to the environment seriously. That’s why we’ve adopted numerous policies and practices with an eye on greater sustainability. Our White Castle “Naturally Focused” initiative reflects our ongoing commitment to creating a more sustainable world, with efforts and results which include:
- Switching from white paper sack and corrugated Crave Cases to brown alternatives made from 100% recycled material
- Using Duro-Last white roofing for new construction (since 1992), which reflects 86+% of the sun’s energy, and reduces energy costs
- Recycling 100+ tons of metal each year including stainless, galvanized and cold-rolled (White Castle division PSB Company)
- Recycling 80+ tons of shrink wrap, paper, plastic, glass and other recyclables, in 2010 alone (White Castle Home Office)
- Reusing and recycling the outer bun cartons used to ship our frozen sandwich products (since 1965)
- Converting our wastes into other products or energy, such as recycling used cooking oil to refiners of biodiesel fuel
- Donating unused and previously used marketing material, such as banners, paperboard, plastic board, etc., to local schools or organizations that reuse the material for creative uses (2,000+ pounds since 2012)
- Purchasing sustainable products such as post-consumered recycled printing paper, recycled paper napkins and unbleached paper towels
- Retrofitting our manufacturing plants with updated and efficient (LED & T8) lighting
- Testing LED lighting in restaurant parking lots, with hopes of reducing kWh per store usage by 33% over traditional lighting
- Where cost effective and regionally available, piloting back-of-house composting in our Castles, reducing wastes and decreases our impact on landfills
- Earning LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) “gold certification” at our newest frozen food plant
Learn more about Sustainability at White Castle.